Lessons in law and life
I like stats and dates and memories. On 13 June 2005, I started day 1 of my 4 week QUT practical legal training placement at what was then Frank Carroll Solicitor. This is the same firm that I now own as Legal Practice Director after a transition through Carroll Fairon Solicitors to Life Law Solutions.
It was the Tuesday following the June long weekend (those were the days). On the Wednesday Frank offered me a job as a Law Clerk, and from then I received my first pay as a law clerk.
So, what have I learned in 15 years?
* Shiny objects are fun to chase but don’t take your eye off the day to day.
* Find good mentors, learn from them, absorb what they say.
* If you don’t know the answer, research, ask the question, learn.
* Teach others, be kind to others.
* Stop and celebrate achievements, don’t just keep pushing through.
* Invest in your team and your culture.
* Learn something beyond your profession, seek out knowledge and growth where your passion lies.
* Always stay curious, ask questions, listen.